Glowing and flawless skin is the desire of every individual. But our lifestyle doesn’t give us much time to take care of ourselves especially our skin. Taking care of skin is as important as losing body fat and treating damaged hair.
Skin is the largest organ. It not only acts as a major factor in appearance but also acts as a layer in protecting our body from germs. Not only this but the skin also regulates our body temperature through sweat glands.
Your skin is in the best form when you are a baby. As we grow older, our skin gets dull and damaged. It requires proper care and treatment. It is important to pay attention to your skin at an early age so that your skin will be in great condition when you become older.
As you grow old, there will be wrinkles and dullness, and spots. You cannot stop them but certainly, with proper care, you can age with grace.
Factors that can affect your Skin
There are many factors that are responsible for unhealthy and damaged skin.
UV rays in the sunlight can damage the skin badly. Exposure to these rays can cause sunburn, premature aging, leathery skin, and even skin cancer.
Alcohol enlarges the blood vessels due to which blood flow is abundant and causes redness in the cheeks. Persistent drinking can cause damage to blood vessels and redness of palms and soles.
Although exercise is healthy for the body but certain exercises such as weightlifting can cause breaks between the connective tissues which results in stretch marks. When you lose weight, these stretch marks grow.
Smoking can cause severe damage not only to the skin but the whole body. It can cause wrinkles around the mouth and wounds on the skin. Continuous intake of tobacco changes the skin color giving you dull and unnatural skin.
Having a tattoo can look all cool and nice. But it can badly damage your skin. The needles or chemicals used in making tattoos are not of good quality or not suitable for your skin, can cause scars and rashes.
Make-up and beauty products
too much makeup for a prolonged time can be very harmful to your skin. Your skin needs to breathe. Covering it under layers of makeup can clog your pores which can result in rashes, pimples, wrinkles, and itchiness.
Skin problems and their treatment
Certain skin conditions can be cured at home with homemade products or certain creams. But if the problem persists, you need to consult a skin care physician or a dermatologist.
Some of the skin disorders are
- Acne – Acne is a deposition of oil, microorganisms, and dead skin cells under the skin. It ranges from mild which is small blackheads and whiteheads or red pimples to moderate where pus is formed to severe where large blisters or nodules get developed. Major reason for this is testosterone. Mild and moderate types of acne can be treated by own by washing and cleansing your face but if it’s not gone, you can consult a dermatologist. Certain creams and oral medications can help such as benzoyl peroxide and Isotretinoin.
- Eczema – This is the most common problem of the skin. This condition causes red, itchy rashes anywhere in the body. This can occur in people with asthma or hay fever. Certain moisturizers can help in healing. Avoid using dry soaps as they can worsen this. There are two ointments tacrolimus and pimecrolimus that are used for treatment.
- Rosacea – This develops as red flushing blood vessels or pus-filled pimples. Spicy food, stress, alcohol or very hot and cold conditions can worsen this. Certain gels and medications can help although a healthy skin care routine is recommended. A gel Mirvaso is prescribed to lower the redness of rosacea.
Everybody has a different type of skin. Several beauty product advertisements have created this perception in the minds of people that skin care is related to having fair and glowing skin.
You can glow despite having dark skin. The focus here is to have healthy skin. Acne, pimples, scars, exposure to UV rays, there are hundreds of problems for your skin. But by proper care and healthy eating habits, you can overcome all these.
Here are few tips that can help you in achieving healthy and beautiful skin
- Wash your face with a facewash two times daily. It’s always important to wash your face before going to bed.
- Say no to alcohol consumption and smoking.
- Always apply sunscreen while going out. Avoid going out in the peak hours i.e., from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. because sun rays are most harmful during these times.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water every day.
- Don’t use too many makeup products as they can damage your skin.
- If you develop a pimple or acne, do not touch or try to break it as it can result in a permanent scar.
Diet for glowing skin:
Though there are several skincare routines and creams for beautiful skin but healthy nutrition is a key to get healthy skin. Our skin sheds daily and the younger cells take place of older ones. To speed up this process, healthy nutrients are important.
- Vitamin C – Very important for healing the skin. Main sources for vitamin C are oranges, papaya, blueberries, strawberries, guava, kiwi, broccoli and sweet potatoes.
- Vitamin E – helps in getting healthy skin and protects the skin from cell damage. Almonds, hazelnuts, avocado, sunflower and palm oil are rich in vitamin E.
- Healthy fats – Unsaturated fatty acids remove the dryness and moisturize the skin to look healthier and flexible. Consume avocados, oily fishes, nuts and seeds.
- Omega -3 and Omega-6 fats – These unsaturated fatty acids help in the production of anti-inflammatory compounds which help in treating inflammatory skin disorders such as eczema. Fishes, linseed oil and walnuts are rich sources.
Apart from all the skin care treatments and healthy food, the most important thing is to be happy and stress-free. Have a healthy diet, cut down on junk food or food rich in sugar. Always be comfortable in your skin.
It does not matter whether your skin is dark or fair. Focus on making your skin healthier rather making it white. Make-up can make you look beautiful for a short time, but if you take care of your skin now, you will have beautiful skin even when you will be old.
“BE HAPPY, ENJOY EVERY MOMENT, HAVE HEALTHY DIET, AND YOUR SKIN WILL GLOW”.