You wonder that sometimes when you are sitting alone, lost in your thoughts, you remember a distressing thought and you start thinking about the problem and its consequences. This leads to creating more worrying thoughts inside your head and in no time, you are overwhelmed by the distressing thoughts.
The problem is that the more you try to come out from it, the worse it becomes. Sometimes this led to anxiety and depression. When you are overthinking, your mind is working extra hard to solve complex problems. And when these problems are not solved, we become frustrated and confused.
This will not help you to create any solution to the problems but one problem will lead to another. Overthinking about everything is unpleasant and will stop you from moving forward and making progress in life. It is a normal human tendency and there is nothing wrong with this. You just have to take control of your mind.
Meditation is a process in which you push your mind on to focus one particular object or in the void. By practicing meditation, you will have a positive perspective towards life. This will help to relax your mind and you will be able to see that your thoughts are uncertain and you just have to focus on reality.
There are different types of meditations that you can practice which will help you to calm your mind and achieve serenity. Here is top 10 meditation practices –
- Focused Attention – Breathing is the main part of meditation. This form of meditation is basic. It uses your breath to focus and have a peaceful mind. Sit calmly in a quiet place and keep your eyes closed. Breathe in and out slowly. Stop thinking about everything and just focus on your breathing. When you get up, you will feel a different positive energy inside yourself.
- Fixing your Eyes – Have you noticed that when you are stressed and thinking something and you close your eyes, you feel your eyeballs moving. This is because your eyes and thoughts are interlinked. If your eyeballs are moving, that’s because your mind is lost in thoughts. There is a meditation practice that will help you to focus on a particular object. For example, light a candle in front of yourself and watch it without blinking your eyes. This meditation will help you to overcome worrying thoughts.
- Meditation with a Mantra – Meditation with mantras has a very powerful effect on your mind. Chanting mantras fills your body with an enormous amount of positivity and all of your stress and anxiety goes away.
- Visualization – This kind of meditation makes you imagine something or someone in your mind to focus on. You wonder that sometimes when you are sad and suddenly you remember an old friend or a family member and your body gets filled with warmth. This is what is done here. By focusing on any person’s image, your mind gets away from overthinking and you feel relaxed.
- Body-Scanning – the body scan or body awareness meditation allows you to brush aside distractions and focus on different parts of your body. This is a very effective technique that helps you to be aware of how you are feeling at that particular time. This will help you to release tension from every part of your body.
- Abdominal Breathing – this is another exercise that will help to release stress and anxiety. Breathing in this manner initiates the relaxation response in the body and allows the respiratory system to function more effectively.
- Muscle relaxation Meditation – this is a very simple form of meditation where you strain and release all the muscles in your body from feet to head. Sit relaxed and then tense up the larger muscles in your body for a few seconds and then release. This will help in coping up with stress and anxiety.
- Sound Meditation – this meditation helps in clearing up the mind. Sit in a quiet place and listen to the sounds of a bell or slow music. As you listen to the sound, breathe quietly while the sound fades away.
- Resting Awareness – instead of focusing on breath or visualization, this practice involves truly resting your mind. You have to try not to let any thoughts distract you. Some thoughts may come. But instead of pulling you away, they just drift apart.
- Reflection – This practice consists of asking a question to ourselves like what are you grateful for? Your inner thoughts will discourage your rational mind to give an appropriate answer. Instead, it will try to deviate and dip you in more negative thoughts. But you have to focus on what you are feeling. Your feelings will give you the answer.
Tips to follow for Meditation:
Create a Separate Space
It’s very difficult to concentrate while meditating if you are surrounded by several objects or a very noisy place. Find a quiet spot in your home. It can be any room or your favorite little corner. You can keep plants or candles near you for positive vibes.
Creating a Schedule
Creating a routine and choosing a fixed time for meditation is more effective. Practicing meditation consistently daily will benefit your mental health in many ways.
Meditate with a Partner
Though everybody believes that meditation can be done alone. But when you meditate with others, the positive energy around you gets doubled.
If you are struggling with lots of thoughts while you meditate, do write a journal about it. Write anything and everything that’s coming to your mind without filtering. This acts as detoxing your mind. by clearing your mind like this, there will be fewer worrying thoughts while you meditate.
Have you ever thought that we always thank others for anything? We never show gratitude towards ourselves, our bodies. While meditating, place your hands on your heart and thank your body, mind, and spirit for taking care of you.
Tell yourself that you are doing it right. This will help you maintain your calm state of mind throughout the day.
There are hundreds of rules and techniques to meditate. Meditation does not need to be very complex. Simple practices like deep breathing can work. Take some time out of your day to meditate.
The more you practice these, the better you will feel from the inside. Overthinking is a natural tendency. By meditation, you will have control of your mind and if any negative thoughts come, you can brush them away.